For the last six years, She Shreds Magazine has been a source for guitarists and creatives to share a platform that educates, inspires, and develops quality content met with a groundbreaking aesthetic. Through the relationship of knowledge and design, She Shreds aims to create a book that reinvents the culture, education, and visibility of guitars and womxn in music.
The Print Designer and Director holds the responsibility of developing a forward thinking, high end, lifestyle and artistic perspective on guitars, womxn in music, and education. You are responsible for aligning the ethos of She Shreds Magazine—as a movement bringing forth a new era of visibility—with a visual, artistic, and creative aesthetic that drives the point to anyone who picks up the magazine; not only musicians and guitar lovers. Playing the guitar is a plus, but is not necessary. You must showcase prior experience in publication design and have a passion for reinvention through design as well as a passion in telling the stories/history/and perspectives of womxn.
You must also be able to commit to issues 18, 19, and 20 (May 2019 – May 2020). This position begins May 25th, 2019. UPDATE: Application submissions have been extended to end on Friday, May 17th.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org
Print Designer and Director
Responsibilities and Duties
- Communicate with Managing Editor about pieces
- Layout design for each issue
- Brainstorm art/photos for each piece
- Research artists/photographers for each piece
- Project manage each shoot/art piece to completion
- Emailing editor to make sure I have the correct information I need for each piece
- Emailing artists and managers to coordinate details
- Setting time/date/location
- Sourcing Hair and Makeup when necessary
- Providing creative direction for each shoot
- Making sure each artist is photographed with their guitar
- Making sure art is provided by deadline
- Collecting invoices from creative contributors
- Having artists/photographers sign contracts
- Create new design/creative theme for each issue
- Assigning minor design layouts to Junior Designer
- Choose final photos to use
- Editing final photos/art to specs needed
- Communicating with sponsors if ads don’t meet specs
- Help proofread
- Implement edits
- Getting files print ready
- Getting the files to the printer
- Proofing final issue proofs
- Making final changes from printer
- Creating promotional assets for each issue’s digital release
This includes but not be limited to:
- Facebook banner
- Up to 3x Instagram assets
- Homepage asset update
- Website sidebar GIF
- Shopify product assets
Compensation is determined and discussed in the application process. This is a freelance/contractor position.
While each print issue has a time frame of four months to get developed, the creative director/lead designer spends most of their time during the last two months of production. It’s up to the designer themselves to decide and plan according to the amount of time they believe it will take to design the print issue in order to meet the print deadline.